Syracuse was first organized on May 25, 1897 by J.M. Lynch as an affiliate of the AF of L, “Bridge & Structural Iron Workers No. 6905.” They then affiliated with the Iron Workers as Local No 9 until January 1, 1900.
H.F. Donnelly, Business Agent of local 12, organized Syracuse as Local No. 60. However, our first directory appearance was April 1903, as Local No. 4. This was taken from Toronto for one month, and then returned to them. Syracuse appeared as Local No. 60 in the May 1903 magazine directory, although the date on our charter is February 10, 1903.
Excerpted from The Complete Iron Worker Directory by George Cross